Invention, improvement and innovation. At the core of Wallis Drilling.
Innovation has always been a big part of the way we work at Wallis Drilling. It’s the sort of thinking you’d expect from the company that invented the Air Core drilling technique.
Our designers, mechanics and engineers are always looking for new ways to make drilling safer, easier and more efficient. They receive regular feedback and suggestions from our field teams – and then turn these into practical solutions to upgrade and modify equipment and develop safer and more efficient work practices. Continuous improvement is a part of our overall engineering approach.
We have our own engineering and fabrication workshops which can make anything from an urgently-needed spare part to a complete vehicle-mounted drilling rig. This in-house capability means we can turn new ideas into working prototypes quickly without relying on subcontractors. Once proven, we can then rapidly have the new technology working for us in the field.
Our research and developments goals are to:
- Increase automation to decrease manual handing onsite
- Reduce the requirements for human intervention
- Increase our rigs’ uptime and efficiency
- Improve safety at every level
- Decrease operational and business risks
It’s this innovative attitude and engineering expertise which keep us one step ahead in a very competitive industry.
Our engineering team’s innovations have won numerous design awards from both clients and industry.
Our latest engineering achievements include:
- Compressor/booster tracked vehicles
- Hi-lift rig jacks to for operations on farmland for minimal ground disturbance
- Fluid control catching systems and core pump out tanks to reduce environmental disturbance
- RC drilling upgrade on Sandvik DR580 drill; an Australian first.
- Digital Touch screen interface for auto sampling on Sandvik mining drills
- Fit for purpose hybrid Schramm RC package to increase mobility and decrease non productive time
- Fit for purpose Rod Loading Truck for drill rod change out
- Fit for purpose Mine Servicing truck
- Upgrade to Sandvik DE-880 to American Petroleum Institute (API) and Moduspec compliance
- Rotating self-levelling cyclone mount for ergonomic sampling
- Self-levelling sample turn table
- Mechanical assist drill rod loader for our Light Air Core rigs
- Mantis 80 Mark 2 drill rig